Sunday, April 24, 2011

Some things are just better remembered the second time around...

As most know my daddy has Alzheimer's. He is now to the point that he really remembers nothing. He knows us but nothing he has ever done. Some things from his history though he can still tell us although usually during his stories he will mix one story with another so it can be really confusing to alot of people. Fortunately, for us we have been blessed to have been able to live with him the past two years and have heard these stories over and over so we know them by heart. My daddy has truly lived a very full life and the stories of his past are so wonderful to hear! Now that they are so mixed up though we hear about things like Key West with snow or the streets in D.C. in Pensacola. Kinda funny but sad at the same time. We all try to find the joy in his stories still though and find humor in them also. He will even giggle at himself sometimes when he realizes what he has said and how silly it is. Praise God he can find more than just frustration in his state.

Another thing Alzheimer's has done to my daddy is make him forget things he has eaten or done in his life. The simple things. The other day he told me he had never had a strawberry before in his life. So he got to try a strawberry for the "first time". He love it!! He came up to me the next morning telling me the same thing and again tried a strawberry for the "first time". Loved it again!!!

So glad we have these growing this year so he can try them each day!!!

Another thing my daddy has "never" done is dye Easter eggs! So we gave him an egg to dye!! He loved that experience!!!! I know he has dyed them before with the kids but hey now he did it for the "first time". I am grateful to be able to experience this joy with my daddy as he gets to enjoy "new" things each day and seeing the look on his face is truly priceless. Sometimes it can be very frustrating to see my daddy deal with this horrible monster taking over his mind and body but I will try to see the bright side at least with this one and enjoy his new experiences like I would if they were my kids!!

No comments:

Post a Comment